Sunday, December 03, 2006

THE STREETERS

Streeter. This is a term I invented and can hardly wait to see if it becomes a part of the lexicon. I doubt it...what it means are those who hang out on the streets and most call them homeless. Homeless in our society means different things to different people and in different parts of the country. In San Fran, we have more "streeters" than truly chronic homeless.

I think the homeless can be divided into about three categories: the dopeheads who love hanging out on the streets, it is a lifestyle, a comraderie and works with their fogged up minds. Most have simply wasted their lives, plain and simple. The 2d group are those who are mentally challenged, for whatever reason. The "street" becomes a comfortable place for them. And, the third group and a much smaller one are the true homeless that can be helped. They need help in terms of having a roof over their heads, often they need assistance with their families--they are livng in cars and subsisting with various types of handouts. We need to be turning out attention to this group. The first two are mostly beyond help. (I didn't mean for this to be a serious piece)

I meet this "streeter" as I'm out running. He is pushing his cart, full of his earthly belongings. He fits in the second category, I think: somewhat mentally challenged but at the top of the rung, as he is humorous, talking to himself, maybe to me as we're waiting for a light to change. As we're standing there, a frail little woman crosses the street in front of us against the traffic. Her right arm is shaking in a pattern that is the result of maybe a stroke or something but very obvious that she is not quite with it. We are both watching her. He says to me, "she's going to get killed one of these days. I help her cross when I can but sometimes she just goes on her own." I was moved by his concern. Here's a "streeter" who somehow is compassionate, does what he can in his world. Those of us who go about our daily lives without a thought of this poor woman other than witnessing her travails can learn something here. I don't believe this sort of compassion should go unrewarded. I did what I could. I gave him a $20--one happy "streeter."

No comments: