Monday, November 20, 2006

THE BIG O


I've been really bummed out for such a long time about the war in Iraq and here we go: an answer. I would put this in the category of "Only in San Fran." but the suggestion came from a couple sitting over in Marin in the hot tub (remember that movie). They are proposing that on December 22, the beginning of solstice, everybody take the time to make love and have the Big "O." I'm for it. I love this statement: "not to worry if you don't have a partner." Thanks for permission. Us Catholics or right wing fundamentalists have more than a healthy dose of guilt and need permission before we visit "mother thumb and her four sisters." I am slapping myself even as I write.

This movement is called, Global Orgasm for Peace. I'm serious, it was on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle which is the mainstream paper for the City. I loved it. Once you've committed, there's even a secret sign to show others that you plan to take part: Flash the universal "OK" sign and wink. Or, as it as been dubbed, "The O" sign.

Now, come on, this isn't just a crazy California idea even if it probably won't fly in Spartanburg, SC. Still, it seems to me that making love is surely better than making war. The two anti-war types, Donna Sheehan and her partner, Paul Reffel, are no strangers to the "movement." Or something akin to it: she and a few dozen best buds stripped naked and spelled out "peace" in a field in response to the War. These people are serious. I admit that I'm smiling. They feel that this has promise: high orgasmic energy combined with mindful intention may have a much greater effect than previous mass meditations and prayers. For us hanger ons, all we have to do is pick a time, a 24 hour period.

LOL but here's a last thing, Sheehan and Reffel are no spring chickens. So, we assume they are involved with the Big O and that alone is encouragement for us old geezers. More power to them.

No comments: