Saturday, February 26, 2011

LOST A SAN FRAN TREASURE

Sadly, I heard the news of my old friend, Darwin Coon, "hitting the road." He really wasn't so much a friend as an acquaintance but he was quite the acquaintance. Darwin Coon, whose resume reads like a surreal portrait of a character who may end up starring in Criminal Minds on TV. He served time in lots of places but ended up here at Alcatraz and made a career out of it--more power to him. He was a prisoner in Alcatraz for four years. He wrote a book about his experience. I became one of his biggest fans. He would station himself down by the ferry to Alcatraz and sell his book. I bought one, then about a half dozen and did it almost weekly for awhile. I would give them away or send to friends. In fact, once he claimed that he had to reprint just because of me. I met him at The Red Jack Saloon. And, really that is the name, Red Jack Saloon. I only went there a time or two. I met Darwin there first and then followed him over to his station outside the ferry. I hadn't seen him for a few months but did asked someone and they said he died. Later on, I went into the Red Jack and Betty said, not true. Now, he has "hit the road" and Darwin, God bless you on your journey . I"m putting you right up there with Emperor Norton and several other characters. The Red Jack had a Memorial.

No comments: